Are you between the ages of 12 and 19? Do you have a book on you at all times? Have you collided with (or narrowly avoided colliding with) a physical object because you were walking while reading? Are you always on the lookout for your next fantastic read? Then you might be a Bookavore!
Bookavores read because the alternative would be to live only half a life. We read books that entertain, inspire, and transport, books that broaden horizons and provoke thoughtful discussion (and a lot of enthusiastic gushing!). What makes a book good? Would Harry Potter have flunked out of Hogwarts if Hermione hadn’t done most of his homework? Did that character serve a purpose besides their totally predictable turn to the dark side (and subsequent death)? Does “realistic” fiction have anything at all to do with real life? And what’s up with all those ball gowns on the covers, anyway? Answers to these questions and more await you.
We read one young adult book per month (voted on by you!). We meet at the store for one hour on the first Sunday of each month at 2pm. Membership is limited to teens aged 12-19.
The Bookavores are facilitated by Rebecca Wells, children’s floor manager at Porter Square Books.
- Sunday January 7th at 2pm. Book Pick: Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart.
- Sunday February 4th at 2pm. Book Pick: Dear Martin by Nic Stone.
Past Book Club Reads Include:
- The Mystery of Hollow Places by Rebecca Podos
- A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
- Don't Get Caught by Kurt Dinan
- The Trials of Apollo by Rick Riordan
- My Kind of Crazy by Robin Reul
- Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee
- Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
- The Young Elites by Marie Lu
- Gemini by Sonya Mukherjee
- Jackaby by William Ritter
- None of the Above by I. W. Gregorio
- Trouble is a Friend of Mine by Stephanie Tromly
- When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore
- Trouble Makes a Comeback by Stephanie Tromly
- If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
- Denton Little's Deathdate by Lance Rubin
- The Lines We Cross by Randa Abdel-Fattah
- Scythe by Neal Shusterman
- Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies by Lindsay Ribar
- Exit, Pursued By a Bear by E. K. Johnston
- One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus